Totally Groovy Quilt Along with Prizes Galore!
Every thursday here at Pile O’ Fabric we have been going through a Quilting & Sewing Events 101 series, explaining the different sewing events you can participate in online and locally. Yesterday we talked about one of my favorite events, Sew Alongs. Today I am super super excited to announce that I will be hosting my very own Quilt Along, and I would love love for you to join me!
I have partnered up with Carolina Patchworks (Emily Cier) who is an amazing quilt designer and writer. She wrote Scrap Republic, Quilt Remix, and Pixel Play (coming soon). You can see her work in Modern Blocks, and she is one of the 16 Iconic Quilt Designers in the newly released book, We Love Color.
For this Quilt Along we will be using her Groove Quilt Pattern, which she will be offering at a discount for all QAL participants. When I first began quilting, I came across this pattern and told myself I was going to learn how to make it no matter what! It might seem a bit intimidating, but Emily assures it is much easier than it looks! This will nevertheless be a challenging Quilt Along in Color Selection and Curve Piecing, but still achievable for the newer quilter—and rewarding, too! As you quilt along there will be wonderful tutorials and advice on fabric selection, piecing curves, and quilting techniques from amazing quilters. Emily’s patterns are very easy to follow and always have instructions for crib, lap, twin, queen, and king. I myself have not done much curve piecing so you are in good company, we can conquer these groovy curves together! You are totally welcome to make this quilt any way you see fit, so if you prefer to use prints then go for it! I’m excited to see your own varation.
Here are the current scheduled posts for the Quilt Along. We will be learning the ins and outs of curve piecing from amazing quilters Emily Cier, Jacquie Gering, Amanda Woodruff, and Kate Conklin. We will also be getting some Groovy Quilting tips from Quilting Extraordinaire Angela Walters. This will be a fantastic learning experience, and a great opporunity to meet some new quilting friends!
- August 2nd – Planning and Choosing your Fabric (and if you need fabric, I’ve arranged for a 20% discount on Kona Cotton at Fat Quarter Shop)
- August 9th – Meet the Totally Groovy Designer, Emily Cier
- August 16th – Cutting your templates
- August 22nd – Intro to Curves Piecing by Alyssa Lichner
- August 23rd – Piecing Traditional Curves by Jacquie Gering at Tallgrass Prairie Studio
- August 30th – Piecing Curves without Pins by Kate Conklin at Kate Conklin Designs
- September 6th – Piecing Curves without Pins by Emily Cier at Carolina Patchworks
- September 7th – Piecing Curves with a Curve Master Foot by Amanda Woodruff at A Crafty Fox
- September 13th – Putting all the pieces together, finishing your quilt top
- September 20th – Choosing a Backing Design
- September 27th – A Look at Emily Cier’s New Book Pixel Play
- October 4th – Totally Groovy Quilting Tips by Angela Walters from Quilting is my Therapy
- October 18th – Wrapping up and linky party begins
- October 25th – Submissions do for Grand Prize Winners
Throughout the course of the QAL, participants will have the chance to win the following AMAZING prizes
12 Sampler Packs of Aurifil Thread
CTPub Book Giveaways (TBA)
$25 Gift Certificate to Lark Cottons
Half Yard Bundle of 6 Kona Modern Quilts Prints from Marmalade
$40 Gift Certificate to Sew Fresh Fabrics
Half Yard Bundle of Quilt Blocks Stars from Fresh Modern Fabric
4 – $25 Gift Certificates to Pink Chalk Fabrics
2 – $15 Gift Certificates to Contemporary Cloth
2 – $25 Gift Certificates to Canton Village Quilt Works
QAL Grand Prizes
After the final submissions are in the judges Emily Cier, Angela Walters and I will collaborate and choose the final winners. The criteria for judging will be annouced at the start of the quilt along.
Grand Prize 1st Place Winner
$100 Gift Certificate to Mad About Patchwork
$75 Gift Certificate to Fat Quarter Shop
2nd Place Winner
$100 Gift Certificate to Fat Quarter Shop
3rd Place Winner
Final Participant Drawing
All final submission participants will be entered into a drawing for a chance to win a $50 Gift Certificate to the Fat Quarter Shop
Carolina Patchworks will be offering all QAL Participants a discount on her pattern.
- 20% off 2 or more (a great chance to get another one of Emily’s wonderful patterns) code: TOTALLYGROOVY
- 15% off Groove Paper Pattern code: GROOVEPAPER
- 15% off Groove PDF Pattern code: GROOVEPDF
How about we start the groovy fun off with it’s first giveaway! A Totally Groovy Quilt Package! Everything you need to join the fun, $75 to The Fat Quarter Shop to get your fabric and a Groove Quilt Pattern to Quilt Along! Let’s give a huge thank you to the Fat Quarter Shop!
Enter to Win!
Here’s how, use the Rafflecopter Widget below then leave a comment on this post telling me if you have ever done curve piecing before and if you have ever participated in a Quilt Along.
For Bonus Entries
- Share about the Totally Groovy Quilt Along on Twitter
- Pin the Totally Groovy Quilt Along on Pinterest
- Like Pile O’ Fabric on Facebook
- Pin a Fabric Collection from Fat Quarter Shop you would like to use for the Groovy Quilt
This giveaway will end Thursday, July 31st, at 12 a.m. EST. Mr. Random will choose a winner and I will announce their name in a new post here on the blog, later that Thursday. * Note * This giveaway is open to EVERYONE near and far! If you’re a "no reply" or an anonymous commenter, remember to include your email address in your comment so that if you win I can contact you!
I hope that you will join the flickr group, which can be found here. This will the central place to come together and share photos of our progress and get to know each other.
Totally Groovy Button
If you’d like to let people know what fun you are up to or invite your friends to join here is a button!
<div align="center"><a href="http://pileofabric.com/post/999646-totally-groovy-quilt-along-with-prizes" title="Pile O' Fabric"><img src="http://pileofabric.com/Events/totally-groovy-qal/button_sm2.jpg" alt="Pile O' Fabric" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
Sign up and be entered into a drawing to win a pattern!
I am very excited to quilt along with you my friends! I would like to get an approximate head count of you all, so I have created a sign up. If you plan to join me and Quilt Along please fill out the sign up form, this will NOT commit you to anything it just gives me an idea who will be coming along. If you sign up you will be entered into a drawing to win 1 of 10 Groove Patterns (paper).
I want to thank Emily Cier for creating an amazing quilt and allowing us to make it too, I also want to thank all of the wonderful sponsors for making this event super exciting.
I am very blessed to have some wonderful blogging friends who have agreed to help me promote this QAL before it launches on August 2nd. If you want more chances to win a Groove Pattern then check out their blogs, some will be giving patterns away!
- July 14th – Taryn @ Pixels to Patchwork
- July 16th – Jacey @ JaceyCraft
- July 17th – Angela Walters @ Quilting is my Therapy
- July 18th – Tessa @ The Sewing Chick
- July 19th – Erica @ Kitchen Table Quilting
- July 20th – Kelly @ Live. Love. Create
- July 21st – Jacquie @ Tallgrass Praire Studio
- July 22nd – Jennifer @ Ellison Lane Quilts
- July 23rd – Heidi @ Fabric Mutt
- July 24th – Beth @ Plum and June
- July 25th – Barbara @ Monumental Quilts
- July 26th – Allegory @ Sew Allegorical
- July 27th – Danny @ Mommyforreals
- July 28th – Penny @ Sew Take a Hike
- July 31st – Amanda @ A Crafty Fox
- August 1st – Kate @ Kate Conklin Designs
Okay everyone time to get your Quiltin’ Groove on!!