Free domestic shipping on orders over $99


Not your Granny's Quilt // Finished Quilt!

I have recently become a HUGE fan of Instagram. I really love the ability to use it to "micro blog" projects I am working on, but the downside is that I tend to slack on sharing those project here on the blog. One of the projects I have been actively working on and sharing on instagram is my Ain't your Granny's Quilt.

The Quilt in Making

Last year I participated in an online block swap called Not Your Granny's Bee. Each participant was assigned two colors (myself being assigned orange and red). We each made 24 granny square blocks using Katy Jones strip piecing granny tutorial in our assigned colors with 8 in charcoal, 8 in white, and 8 in snow. We then sent all of our blocks to the bee mama and she swaped them and sent them back. Each person was left with 24 blocks in multiple colors. I had my blocks laying around for months and months and was dying to find time to make something with them. I finally decided that I would never find time so I better just make time! I had an issue squaring the blocks up. I found that though the blocks looked absolutely beautiful, each persons 1/4" was frankly different. Some blocks could be squared to 9" at minimum without trimming points off, and others had to be trimmed 8.5" just to deal with the inset holes. I ended up having to add borders to a few blocks and had to trim points off some of the larger blocks just to make each block the same size.  At this point I new the quilt would have some issues, but I knew I would still LOVE it. I decided I wanted to mix up the layout of the quilt by adding 24 mini granny blocks which finish at 4.5" square. For these blocks I used charms I received from a Modern Designer Charm swap I participated in. Since I was using charms I could not use the strip piece method, therefore these little blocks are bit wonky! For the backing I wanted to make a jumbo size granny square. I started off making two granny squares using whole 5" charm squares. At the time those seemed pretty big, but once my quilt top was actually finished they were way to small to incorporate. Thanks to my friend Danny and her advise I decided to make a large 37" granny square using 10" squares of fabric.
For the quilting I marked all the quilt borders with a herringbone style chevron and quilted those with my walking foot. I then free motion quilted a tight wave pattern around each of the granny blocks to help quilt out some of the issues with the blocks.
Overall the quilt has some "cosmetic issues" and would no way ever be considered show quality. But, its for me to keep and I absolutely love it!

The Finished Quilt

The Details

  • Finished Size: 55" x 85"
  • 24 mini 4.5" granny blocks
  • 24 medium 8" granny blocks
  • 1 large 37" granny block
  • 8 WOF strips of misc fabric for binding
  • TONS of Kona Charcoal
  • Quilters Dream Batting
  • Aurifil 40wt Dark Gray (2630) Thread
  • and the hard work of 24 quilters :)
Thank you so much to those of you who contributed a block to this quilt, I love it!




Creator of Pile O' Fabric


Next Post

Previous Post

  • Kona® Illustrator File Updated + Kona® Adobe Library

    content A while back I put together an Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop Swatches file of Kona® Cotton colors. This file makes designing quilts easier in Adobe applications. Now Robert Kaufman has a whopping 340 Kona® Cotton colors!  Updated Video Tutorial Swatch Changes I felt like some of the colors in the old swatches file were not quite accurate, so I went through each color one by one with...

    Continue Reading